Which online marketing strategy for ecommerce should you invest in this year? E-commerce business world is heading into prime time to capitalize on customers. Holidays are about to end and retailers have already started restructuring their business models and planning new strategies that will influence e-commerce trends and customers in 2018.
The digital world is overrun with advertising and it can seem almost impossible to stand above the parapet. To help you stand out from the crowd and win the game called SALES. We are listing insights from 2017, e-commerce trends for 2018, and techniques to help you create a successful online marketing strategy for your eCommerce business.
E-commerce Insights from 2017
It is very important for e-commerce websites to keep up with the changing technologies and trends. As per our analysis and reports of e-commerce websites we have been doing marketing – here is the finding that you can put into practice right away.
1. Traffic Sources: – It’s very critical for you to monitor the e-commerce website traffic to understand the kind of product is searched. E-commerce sites received approximate 65% of traffic from Google and the majority of it is traffic with intent like research and discovery, search by purchase-ready consumers for specific products. 35% of traffic comes from marketplaces like Amazon, eBay and comparison search engines.
Takeaway: – Benchmark your traffic sources and identify opportunities to optimize your product content for Google.
2. Pageviews: – E-commerce website user-experience, efficient conversion funnels and an engagement element is the key to increase the page views. If you are not encouraging your site visitors to view more products and engage then you are probably loosing 10% of conversion rates.
Takeaway: – Get your eCommerce store re-designed with best user-experience, navigation, and conversion elements. Invest in Facebook marketing – Facebook has not developed as a favorable platform for e-commerce shopping advertisements.
3. Devices: – Go for Omni-channel e-commerce business model for your retail store. The use of mobile devices has increased in the USA but laptops and desktops are still on top of the devices list used to buy products online. The smartphone is increasingly used to engage research and compare products.
Takeaways: – Relying heavily on strong mobile strategy means more revenue and higher value orders.
4. Presence: – Google as the search engine is getting smarter with algorithms changes using technologies like AI, Semantics and Big Data. And your consumer journey has changed drastically in recent years before becoming a customer it comes from multiple touchpoints.
Takeaways: – It is required for an eCommerce business owner to invest in a content strategy to get visibility on multiple touchpoints in the customer journey.
E-commerce SEO mistakes to avoid.
Top E-commerce Trends for 2018
Here are top 6 eCommerce trends that need to be incorporated into your e-commerce business model for success.
1. Credibility of Product / Brand
85% customers conduct research before buying anything online. This makes content marketing absolutely imperative for e-commerce business websites to engage customers as they are researching. Build and align content strategy to cement your credibility as trusted resources.
2. Personalized E-commerce Solutions
Personalization e-commerce offers, custom product suggestion and location-specific acknowledgment for in-store purchase can make your customers feel like the most special person in the entire world. It may turn buying decision in your favor.
3. E-commerce Business Needs Team Efforts
E-commerce website marketing department alone cannot make you successful. E-commerce and all other departments like sales, delivery, and inventory, social, marketing and advertising, and customer care will need to work together more closely to satisfy customers at multiple levels.
4. Big Data and Artificial Intelligence in E-commerce
AI and Big Data are the most talked-about technologies which are influencing the way e-commerce business operates. Big Data and AI are proving profitable when applied correctly in content or product recommendation, chatting (chatbots) with potential customers, SEO, and deep learning.
5. Augmented Reality Making Customers Engage with Products
AR allows your customers use their smartphones to engage with your product and experience your product augmented existence in their own living and working environments. It helps your potential customers to visualize their product in a real space.
6. Mobile Marketing to be with your customers 24/7
With 80% of Internet users owning smartphones, mobile marketing is one of the top opportunities for advertisers in e-commerce industry to stay connected with prospects 24/7. Enabling mobile payments, push notifications, in-app marketing can get a better ROI.
Digital trends are ever changing being updated with your online marketing strategy will make sure you are taking into considerations these e-commerce trends.
Tips to Create An eCommerce Digital Marketing Strategy for 2018
It very important to develop a killer e-commerce digital marketing strategy for 2018! Whether you are running a successful e-commerce store, want to expand, or start a fresh, it’s almost impossible to stand in the competitive environment without a successful digital marketing strategy for your eCommerce business.
Here is a simple, easy to follow and step-by-step approach to creating a digital marketing plan that will help you increase your conversions.
More ecommerce SEO tips.
Evaluate Your Strengths and Weaknesses
By evaluating strengths and weaknesses we mean – strengths and weaknesses of your business model, products, and marketing team.
- Add Skills to Marketing Team
- Consult E-commerce SEO Experts
- Training and Exposure
- Tools and Infrastructure
- Better business model
Be honest for better results and try to convert weaknesses into strength.
Set Objectives for Your E-commerce Marketing Efforts
- Number of unique visitors
- Number of return visitors
- Time spent on website
- Conversion rate
- Revenue per customer
- Total revenue
- Customer retention rate
- Cost per acquisition
Set Business/Financial KPI’s [Key Performance Indicators]
- Total Gross Revenue
- Gross Profit
- Net Profit
- Avg. Revenue per User (RPU)
- Marketing Spend
- Gross Margin by Product Type
- Revenue per Visitor
- Cost Per Visitor
- Cost of Returns
- Cost & Revenue per Campaign
- Revenue by Product Line
- Profit By Product
- Lost Profit
- Return on Inventor
Set Marketing KPI’s
- Response Rate or Click through Rate
- Customer Conversion Rate
- No. Coupon Codes Redeemed
- Average order value
- Customer Lifetime Value
Develop Customers/Prospects Persona
The success of your eCommerce marketing campaigns and efforts rely on your understanding of target customers to which you want to sell your products.
Try to cover maximum points from below list:
- Demographic – Age, Gender
- Interest – Should be related to your product or industry
- Household Income
- Online Purchase behavior
- Online Presence
Develop Understanding of the Customer Buying Cycle
Understand the customer journey and multiple possible touchpoints to build your eCommerce business presence through effective content marketing.
- Awareness – where they find out that you exist and what you do
- Research – where they research you and your products to see whether you will give them what they need
- Decision – where they make their decision to go with you!
- Loyalty – where they decide that if they need anything else, you are the company for them
Map Your Customer Persona with the Buying Cycle and Marketing Channels
Arrange brainstorming section to consider how each customer persona behaves in the buying cycle and the channels associated with it. And create the content calendar to reach out to each of the channels on time.
- Awareness: Search engines, social networks, publishers & blogs
- Research: Your own website and blog, interactive tools, communities
- Decision: The eCommerce process, prices, promotions & products
- Purchase: Cross-selling, upselling & abandoned carts
- Loyalty: Remarketing emails, social campaigns, offers & customer advocacy
Add these considerations to your 2018 Digital Marketing Plan for an e-commerce business that would be universal to most businesses. There are many other microtrends in e-commerce that you’ll probably need to be aware of, as well. It’s very important to invest time, money and efforts in researching before building a performance driven e-commerce marketing strategy.
If you have thoughts and ideas about which trends are going to become essential for e-commerce business this year? We’d love to see your comments below!